Monday, May 11, 2009

weekly reflection

Leah Croteau                                                                                                                       5/10/09

Athletic Training                                                                                                                  week 1

Weekly Reflection                                                                  

 

For My first week of Senior Project I learned a lot of new and interesting things.  For that start of the week I was watching and then preceded to practice some of the basic taping and wrapping techniques a trainer uses.  While I was there I was constantly observing the day-to-day aspects of the training room, like the use of Ice packs and heat wraps that were applied to certain muscular areas of athletes.  The use of the E-Stim machine was also something I always watched being used and was fascinated by.  A day or so into the week I began to ask questions in relation to the reasons behind things like applying ice or heat to something, and also about the ways that athletes were stretched to either prevent injury or decrease pain from a prior injury of the affected area.

I really enjoyed what I was doing, because I love helping people, even with the little things like grabbing a towel or wrapping an ice bag.  I’ve been learning a lot even just in a week of working, and completely understand that the activities I am being asked to do are all things that seem small, but are all steps of prevention, and it is all helping build my confidence up to what I would have to be to really help in Athletic Training.

Everything has been happening as expected, but even expecting things in a field like Athletic Training can always have surprises, especially if teenage boys act as they do.  Chris likes to call them “Job Security”.  I am really enjoying working in the training room and am learning news things every day . 

No comments:

Post a Comment